Sunday 15 April 2012

ovate's new collection: Mare Frigoris


always in constant awe of my friend audrey cantwell's talent for designing such savage & delicate pieces. i'm thrilled to post these spellbinding photos of the new ovate collection entitled Mare Frigoris &  the words & inspirations she shared with me. all photos c/o Ovate, look book photos c/o ellen rogers, all clothing c/o Ovate: Mare Frigoris 2012 , jewellery c/o bloodmilk: sea witch

"The new collection is called Mare Frigoris "The Sea of Cold", it is a lunar mare. The main inspiration for the collection is the sea, cold dark waters, the tides, waves and foam, cliffs and rocky beaches, desolate landscapes, blues, greys, whites and black. I tried to make simple, wearable pieces that are feminine, yet still have somewhat of a looming darkness. Veiled faces with sheer hoods and long silhouettes with fish tail hems. The campaign was shot in the UK by Ellen Rogers. The jewelry is all made by Bloodmilk, a mini collection she calls "sea witch" and was made to be released in unison with Mare Frigoris." audrey cantwell, ovate
>>please shop audrey's collection available at her shop now<<


"Below the thunders of the upper deep;
Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth: faintest sunlights flee
About his shadowy sides; above him swell
Huge sponges of millennial growth and height;
And far away into the sickly light,
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumber'd and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant arms the slumbering green.
There hath he lain for ages, and will lie
Battening upon huge seaworms in his sleep,
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by man and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die."   - Alfred Tennyson


“If I longed for destruction it was merely that this eye might be extinguished. I longed for an earthquake, for some cataclysm of nature which would plunge the lighthouse into the sea. I wanted a metamorphosis, a change to fish, to leviathan, to destroyer. I wanted the earth to open up, to swallow everything in one engulfing yawn. I wanted to see the city buried fathoms deep in the bosom of the sea. I wanted to sit in a cave and read by candlelight. I wanted that eye extinguished so that I might have a chance to know my own body, my own desires. I wanted to be alone for a thousand years in order to reflect on what I had seen and heard—and in order to forget.”

"I wanted the dark fecundity of nature, the deep well of the womb, silence, or else the lapping of the black waters of death."
Henry Miller, The Tropic Of Capricorn 



No comments:

Post a Comment

don't be shy, please leave me a comment!