Monday 4 August 2014

ever expanding blog post


The Ever Expanding Blog Post is a self-interview by a series of artists, makers and designers who ask themselves the same 4 questions and then pass the interview on to other creators they respect. A social media chain letter of sorts. Thank you Lily of Gamma Folk for inviting me.


What am I working on?
I am  in the exhausting (but i love it) process of completing vol. 3 of my knitting  booklets, that i self-publish & locally print, that will contain all new designs, most from my upcoming fw/14 shop update. I just recently released the pre-fall collection, that focuses on techniques such as fringe application, bobbles, using custom dyed wool, shaping & even some traditional lace designs.
 I couldn't wait on sharing the lookbook, that i worked on w/ friends brooke & hollie, so that is how that came about so soon. In the fall, i will feature the rest of the lookbook, & some more photos i shot w/ my friend alyssa, since i added more knits to the collection. 
I am working on so many projects at the moment,(such as finally tackling  enfant/toddler, & beginning design stages of  decor wall hangings & jewelry making).  i just can't even afford all of  the resources needed, so for me i am trying to just pull back my enthusiasm & not  allow it to get me down.








How does my work differ from others of its genre?
I am pretty stubborn with the integrity of my designs, which focuses on the beauty of the  natural fibers, as well as minimalist shapes. Honestly, i still design for myself, "would i wear this & will i continue to want to wear this", i focus to not stray from that sentiment. It is important that my work is wearable, sustainable & ,  that can it be easily mixed into a changing wardrobe.

Why do I create what I do?
For me, it started as an instant obsession, that came about as a way of releasing my creativity through developing my own skills of handicraft. I was inspired to find new innovative ways to develop & knit patterns, w/out a lot of the traditional hang ups of knitting. I continue to knit because it is creative outlet that allows me to independently help support my family. As well, i feel a connection to the political and community based actions that fair trade and small independent businesses empower. 


 How does my creative process work?
At this moment, i am feeling manically creativity, but i still definitely  am experiencing  periods where i suffer creatively through blocks, usually it is caused by forcing it, or so much self-doubt.


Sincerely thanks for reading this post & please make sure to check out the following  self-interviewers;
artist & illustrator julia dickens, jewelry designer of we never sleep sarah elizabeth beaver, clothing designer lauren winter & textile artist samantha purdy









No comments:

Post a Comment

don't be shy, please leave me a comment!