Wednesday 9 July 2014

Meet the Maker & 5 questions w/ Lily of Gamma Folk


Gamma Folk is an awe-inspiring & thoughtful jewelry line, created by maker & designer Lily Piyathaisere.
Her pieces evoke another time, with an obvious inspired nod to traditional handicraftLily herself is  "Influenced by folk art, mysticism, pop culture and the bauhaus, Gamma Folk is a celebration of aesthetics, experiments in technique and the preservation of craft." 

 what is your occupation?
Designer and maker for Gamma Folk, a fiber focused jewelry line. Also a graphic designer and part time day-dreamer.
what is your astrological sign?
Aries
what is your spirit animal?
Capybara




why is supporting independent makers/designers so important to you personally?
I can sense an emptiness from mass produced items when I look or touch them. They feel dead, whereas, the work of independent makers/designers are full of life. I can feel the energy and love that is put into them and that unique perspective is something I'm proud to own. It's also important to me that I know where my products are coming from and that they are ethically made. Independent makers/designer are usually more transparent about their sources than corporations.



can you explain in some detail the process for making your pieces?
I keep a sketchbook and am always jotting down ideas and sketches for future items as they come. Inspiration comes in all forms: film, art, food, books, nature, nothingness. From there I like to experiment with natural dyeing processes to hone in on a color palette and textures I want to achieve. I then play with various fiber arts techniques including braiding, weaving and knotting. I've also recently incorporated ceramic components to my jewelry which has been great fun. And then from there I explore silhouettes and shapes and keep refining them until all their elements feel right.













No comments:

Post a Comment

don't be shy, please leave me a comment!